Conroe-North Houston Regional Airport History


Montgomery County Airport was originally built in 1939 by the Civil Aeronautics Agency. The Navy developed interest in the site and arranged to lease the airport’s 1277 acres as a Naval Air Station through World War II. The airfield layout was designed to handle pilot training activity but was never used for that purpose. It served as a research center for some drone testing and as a weather station. The Navy terminated its use in 1946, and the airport was then turned over to Montgomery County with a hangar, a grass-cutting tractor, a fire truck, and other equipment. The County started operating the airport as a civilian facility in 1951. Management of the airport was handled by various fixed base operators until 1972 when it was assumed by the County.

Some renovation to the existing runway/taxiway and support facilities was accomplished by 1960, and a modern medium intensity lighting system and visual approach slope indicators were installed in 1975. An 800 foot extension to Runway 32 was completed by 1985, and an ILS was installed in 1988. Both runways underwent further extensions between 1990 and 2014, resulting in their present lengths of 7,501 and 5,000 feet.

Today’s all-weather airport hosts over 300 aircraft, 240 hangars, a control tower, two FBOs, a general aviation terminal building, a U.S. Army Reserve Aviation unit and more than 20 businesses and several government agencies.

Effective October 1, 2015, Lone Star Executive Airport changed their name and new logo to Conroe-North Houston Regional Airport.